Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Parish
150 Fleury Avenue
Prescott, AZ 86301
Pastoral Council Committee Meeting Minutes Aug. 5, 2019
“Being the Living Example of God’s Love to Others”
Present: Fr Raj, Pastor; Jim Wren, Parish Manager; Fr. Ralph Berg; Fr. Vicente Romero; Bud Bevenour, Vice Chair; Judy Carlisi, Secretary; Henry Cromeek; Phil Stephens; Margarita Arellano; Beth Luce; Mark Matthews
Absent: Mike King; Greg Lazzell
Guests: Dr. Jim Mick for Mission Vision and Values to discuss hospitality behaviors.
Meeting called to Order: 5:30pm
Opening Prayer: Bud Bevenour
Approval of minutes: Motion to approve the July minutes by Bud Bevenour; seconded by Judy Carlisi and approved unanimously by the council.
Pastor’s Report and Parish news – Handout provided. (See attachment A)
- Diocesan Capital campaign. June- Dec. is preparation phase. Multiple receptions for Capital Campaign donors Thurs., Sept. 5, Saturday Sept 7 and Sunday, Sept 8. Personal invitations (including one with Bishop Olmsted on Sept. 5) are being mailed out. Goal for Sacred Heart is $1.7 million. 35% of monies collected will come back to Sacred Heart.
- Heritage Festival: October 17-19. Sacred Heart established in 1877. Purpose of the festival is to celebrate Claretian service to Sacred Heart. New parishioner welcome reception in conjunction with festival is 5:30pm Oct. 17. Personal invitations will be sent out to new parishioners.
- Pastoral Council meeting moved from Mon. Nov 4, to Tues Nov 5, due to anniversary of the dedication.
- Pastoral Plan – Rough draft will be provided by Fr. Raj at the next meeting on Sept. 9. Each of the various tasks of the parish: liturgy, worship, Catholic formation, outreach, faith formation and others will be divided out to subcommittees of the pastoral council. Council members will review and provide input.
- New ministries: Ralph: single parent ministry; Deacon Ernie: Outreach to Veterans. New altar society: Martha’s Altar Ministry.
Parish Manager Report: Jim Wren
- Hopefest: , Sept. 28th at the Courthouse Plaza. “Connects guests to meaningful services and resources.” We will have a booth. Muriel Rabideau and Al Caccavale will be present along with other volunteers. The parish will be choosing items to be passed out at our booth.
- Embry Riddle Orientation, Thurs. Aug 22. The Parish will have a table . Opportunity to connect with the Catholic Club there, and to recruit students for a young adult ministry and core members for youth ministry.
- Veneration of Relics, Sunday, August 11 6pm-8:30pm– 1st Class Relics of Saint Pope JPII and Saint Faustina. A veil which touched the Our Lady of Guadalupe tilma will also be there. Raj and Jim encouraged all council members to attend.
- Day of reflection for staff: Jim Wren and Muriel Rabideau presented on mission, vision and values of the parish. Training adapted from the TEAM approach from Yavapai Regional Medical Center. (Transition, Esteem, Awareness, Mission.) Positive response from staff. All councils, committees and staff will eventually go through this training.
- Catholic Evangelization Conference in Chicago – Jim Wren is attending the first week in October. The Diocese is covering the $1,100 cost. Jim will not be at the Oct. Pastoral Council meeting due to this conference. He will be attending parish manager workshops as well as evangelization workshops.
- All councils dinner on Wed., August 28th from 5:30-7:30 in the Sacred Heart Room. Social dinner with heavy appetizers, wine and dessert. Email sent to each of the 5 council chairman. Chair persons need to report back with a head count to Jim Wren by Aug 21, on who is attending from their council. Due to space considerations, only council members themselves are invited.
- Parish capital campaign: 85,000 remaining reflected in updated report. 10,000-20,000 is being paid monthly. Line of credit is paid off. Amazing generosity!
- Pastoral Council meetings & prayer assignments. ( See attachment B) If you will not be there, it is your responsibility to find someone to cover your day leading opening and closing prayer.
- Jim Mick: Mission Vision and Values – See margin in bulletin. Pastoral council members put a sticker next to top 5 definitions of hospitality which were written on a poster.
- Pastoral Council Guide subcommittee formed: Bud Bevenour, Mike King, Jim Wren, Greg Lazzell and Judy Carlisi. They will be reviewing the guidelines and statutes and making them specific to Sacred Heart Parish.
- Welcome ministry- Council members will be calling new parishioners. Each council member will be assigned a month. This was sent to all members via email. Executive members may be taking more than one month or possibly some months will be combined into other months. (See attachment C for assignments and attachment D for welcome Ministry procedure)
- A weekly evening Mass has been added to the parish schedule beginning Monday, August 26th. There will also be weekly confessions added to the schedule starting on Wednesday. Aug. 26th, from 6-7pm.
- The current Development Director for the school is leaving Sacred Heart Parish to pursue a job in her designated field. The position for development director has been posted on the Diocesan website.
- Mike Daniel has been assigned as the new coordinator for the Light of the World Evangelization Ministry. Deacon Ernie will be serving as spiritual support.
- Information table: Please find your own replacements if you are unable to make your designated shift. Contact Bud Bevenour if you need a copy of the current assignments.
Suggestions, comments, concerns:
- Fr Raj asked for feedback from new council members.
- Phil Stephens reminded the council of past discussion about name tags for pastoral council members. Jim Wren will order these. Name tags will be helpful in identifying us at the welcome table in the gathering area.
- Wall sign suggested for information booth ( large and high up on wall) so people can find the information booth in the gathering area. Raj will get back to us regarding this.
Closing prayer: Bud Bevenour
Meeting Adjourned: 6:55 pm
Next Meeting: Monday, Sept. 9, 5:30pm Margarita Arellano to lead prayer
Respectfully Submitted by Judy Carlisi, Secretary