Terry began the meeting at 5:00pm.
Fr. Raj opened the meeting with a prayer.
Present: Bill Jacobs, Eileen Grant, Terry Brennan, Dan Putschoegl, Brad DeSaye
Absent: Anne Welborn, Bob Dressler
Staff: Fr. Raj, Donna Maneely, Jim Wren
- Minutes Approval:
- Eileen motioned to approve the May 4th meeting minutes; Brad seconded it; approved
- Financial Statements:
- Bill asked some questions regarding Fr. Gaspar’s role: Is he half time or full time and are the Claretians reimbursing us for his Claretian responsibilities. He is full time now since Fr. Ralph is filling in at St. Catherine’s and there are no reimbursements as he is full time. Bill also asked about the Rectory food budget. We originally budgeted $12k for the next fiscal year but decreased it to $11k. Will that be a problem as it is over $13k for this fiscal year? Fr. Vicente has left so we should be spending less. Gaspar and Fr. Raj have been buying their own groceries and Lisa also buys groceries for all of the priests.
- Dan motioned to approve the April Financials; Bill seconded the motion; motion approved
- Bank Statement Approval:
- Eileen reviewed the April bank reconciliation; no discrepancies noted
- Pastor’s Report:
- Fr. Raj will speak with Fr. Gaspar about his expenses when he travels for the Claretians.
- The Feasts of the Ascension and Pentecost are coming up. Bishop Nevares is not able to come for the Sacred Heart of Jesus Mass on June 24th at 5:30pm like originally planned.
- We will begin to pass the collection baskets starting on Pentecost Sunday. We will ask volunteers to help if there are not enough ushers. Jim added that we will keep the collection boxes available as well and we will empty them on Monday mornings.
- The Light of the World retreat was held a couple of weeks ago. 18-20 people participated. He commended the core team.
- A new ministry for women will be starting in August. Alma Helms will be forming this ministry.
- 8th grade graduation Mass took place on May 24th. The last day of school is May 26th.
- Much of the staff will be gone in June and July; Youth Ministry will be continuing throughout the summer. The school will be holding summer school.
- The Staff and Council retreat is on July 29th from 9-3. The theme is Catholic Spirituality.
- Gaspar will be on vacation in July. We will have some visiting priests to help out: Fr. Darrin, Fr. Rubiston, Fr. Sanchez and Fr. Boplan.
- Hispanic Ministry held a Mexican Festival. It was well attended.
- Parish Manager Report:
- The CDA is in its final stage; we are at 91% of our goal. Over $10 million was raised Diocese-wide which is extremely successful.
- Catholic Community Foundation update: the million-dollar match for endowments is in effect for 6 more months. CCF is offering an account with a 1.25% interest rate. Jim would like to schedule another CCF Estate Planning Seminar. From the last seminar, two parishioners set up estate planning naming Sacred Heart in their plans.
- Jim gave out raise letters to the staff with the caveat that the budget was not yet approved.
- May Collection totals so far: plate-$72k, online giving-$45k.
- Old Business:
- 2023 Budget:
- We received the Priest Salary schedule which includes a 4% increase. The current draft includes a 3% increase which only amounts to a $715 difference. At this point, Fr. Ralph will be at St. Catherine’s until the beginning of the year so we do not need to change the budget.
- We used the surplus on the 4th draft Parish budget to fund the Directory. It should cover the printing costs.
- Voting on the 2023 FY budget will take place at the next meeting. We do not expect any major changes.
- Bill asked how much we should allocate to the Reserve Funds this coming year. $194k is a decrease of $46k from this year. He suggested $18k per month ($216k per year). Fr. Raj is fine with what the Finance Council recommends.
- Climate Control and Philips submitted bids for the chiller maintenance contract. Phillips will not commit to a multi-year contract. The bid is $11,263 per year. Climate Control will allow for a two-year contract. Their bid was more extensive and $11,380 per year. Jim recommends Climate Control. They have serviced the Parish in the past and have a good reputation. Brad asked if the contract price included parts. Jim was told that parts were included. The contract would begin July 1. Bill moved to accept the Climate Control contract; Dan seconded it; motion approved.
- New Business: An executive session was called by Fr. Raj
- The Executive session began at 5:37 pm after Fr. Raj closed the regular meeting with a prayer.
Respectfully submitted by Donna Maneely