Terry opened the meeting at 4:58 pm.
Fr. Raj began the meeting with a prayer.
Present: Terry Brennan, Bill Jacobs, Bob Dressler, Keoni Murphy, Eileen Grant, Anne Welborn
Absent: Brad DeSaye
Staff: Fr. Raj, Jim Wren, Donna Maneely, Shelly Cooper
Guest: Martha Lamb
- Bob motioned to approve the October meeting minutes; Eileen seconded it; approved.
- A question was asked if the bequest that the Youth Ministry received was earmarked for anything specific. Jim replied that it could be used for possible improvements to the Youth Ministry building and for larger youth retreats.
- Another question was asked if the 233 Summit house was finished. It should be finished by mid-January. If the previous tenants decide not to move back in, Fr. Raj would like the house to be rented to a parish or school employee.
- Bob asked if we are using less electricity since the solar panels installation; so far it is about the same.
- Keoni asked about the collection deficit; we are on par with last year’s totals, and we should start seeing an up tick in November.
- Anne motioned to approve the October Financials; Keoni seconded the motion; motion approved.
Bank Statement Approval:
- Anne reviewed the October bank reconciliation; no discrepancies noted.
Pastoral Council Report:
- Martha Lamb, the chairperson of the Pastoral Council brought the Finance Council up to date on the Pastoral Council.
- Their focus is on hospitality. They contact all new parishioners and greet parishioners after Masses. They are in the planning stages to bring back the Common Grounds ministry by having a different parish ministry host it monthly.
- The Eucharistic Revival is a top priority for the Council. They approved setting up a committee to plan revival events. The committee started the Corpus Christi procession and plan the monthly Encounter nights. They are starting the Jesus in the Eucharist seven-week small group study in January. They are also planning a Northern Arizona Eucharistic Conference on June 29, 2024.
- They have instituted the Rosary being said before Masses and they will start a Rosary collection for YRMC patients.
- Hospitality is a shared responsibility, not just for Pastoral Council.
- Christ the King was last Sunday and Advent begins this Sunday, December 3rd. The Immaculate Conception Holy Day of Obligation and Our Lady of Guadalupe are coming up as well.
- Confessions will be heard on December 20th from 4-7pm.
- The School’s Advent pageant is tomorrow, November 30th.
- Fr. Raj would like to discuss how to evangelize our families and community at the next Finance Council meeting. He would also like the council to read and reflect on the book ‘Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist’ so there can be a discussion later.
- Fr. Zachary will be presenting our Advent Mission starting Sunday, December 3rd.
- About twenty people get together on Fridays at 3pm to pray The Divine Mercy Chaplet in the church.
- Fr. Raj would like to have two mental health counselors available in the parish office for a couple of hours a week for anyone who needs help. We have already referred five people for counseling.
- AA program will be starting soon for the Hispanic Community.
Parish Manager Report:
- The Advent Mission starts this Sunday, December 3rd. Fr. Zachary, a priest from the Society of our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity will be presenting our Advent Mission. The theme will focus on the Eucharist. The Mission begins on Sunday the 3rd after the 5pm Mass. He will also speak on December 4th and 5th at 9am and 6:30pm.
- The Claretian Provincial, Fr. Paul Keller is visiting this week.
- We will be putting the new missalettes in the pews this Friday as well as setting up the Advent wreath. The church will be decorated on December 22nd.
- We are giving the book ‘Beautiful Eucharist’ to our parishioners. They will be handed out on the weekend of December 17th.
- November collection totals so far: Plate-$76,628, Online giving-$44,800
- The new Director of Catechesis, Rory, is a Canadian citizen. He needs to apply for an R-1 Visa. Jim has been working with the diocesan attorney to get this set up. Rory will begin later than expected. We will use the savings from his budgeted salary to pay for the fees involved. Rory will also contribute toward the fees.
- We are hosting the Charity and Development Appeal training this year on January 17th. The kickoff is February 3rd and 4th. Our goal is still $138k.
- Alma, Jim and Victor went down to the Diocese for Administrative Professional Day with the Bishop. It was a great day. There was a presentation on mental health and a skit involving a receptionist in a realistic situation. Bishop Dolan wants everyone to know how crucial these jobs are to the Church.
- Update on the Mission Canyon Retreat Center: the owner decided to bequeath it to someone else. Catholic Community Foundation had a lot of stipulations that the owner felt were too restrictive.
- Scout Solar completed the work on the parking structure. We now need a maintenance service agreement. We have two options: 1)Annual maintenance agreement with a 2% increase each year 2)purchase power from Scout for .05 per kilowatt hour for 10 years. The Facility Director at the Diocese recommends the first option. We can use the remaining solar donations to pay for it. We will go with the first option.
- We are having a problem with the heater in the church. Climate Control worked on it for two full days to get it to work. The problem goes back to the installation of the system during the renovation. The heater is running now but we need several replacement parts.
- Jim will be working on the 2024/2025 budget memo the week of Christmas so it will be ready the first week of January.
- There will be some pastoral leadership changes coming in 2024. We will know more once the Claretian Missionaries have their annual meeting in February.
- Bill reviewed the reserve study and the reserve funding process with the Council. The advantages of having a reserve study done is that it takes the volatility out of the operating budget, presents a capital budget to work with and we do not have to burden out parishioners with capital campaigns.
- The 2024 meeting schedule was discussed. It will be sent out with the next Financials.
Jim closed the meeting at 6:03pm with a prayer.
Respectfully submitted by Donna Maneely