Terry began the meeting at 5:00 pm.
Fr. Raj opened the meeting with a prayer.
Present: Terry Brennan, Bill Jacobs, Anne Welborn, Brad DeSaye, Keoni Murphy, Eileen Grant
Absent: Bob Dressler
Staff: Fr. Raj, Jim Wren, Donna Maneely
- Minutes Approval:
- Bill motioned to approve the June meeting minutes; Anne seconded it; approved.
- Financial Statements:
- Anne motioned to approve the June Financials; Brad seconded the motion; motion approved.
- Bank Statement Approval:
- Bob reviewed the June bank reconciliation; he will give his report at the next meeting.
- Pastor’s Report:
- Fr. Raj feels the church is more stable since Covid. Parishioners are supportive and have an evangelization spirit.
- Eucharistic revival: Muriel is leading a class on the Eucharist in September. Our Advent and Lenten missions will focus on the Eucharist.
- School opens next week. The Open House is this Sunday following the 9am Sunday Mass.
- Fr. Raj commented that there are 25 couples currently preparing for marriage in our parish.
- Our World Youth Day pilgrims leave tomorrow -July 27. They return August 7th.F
- Parish Manager Report:
- July Collection totals so far: $70k collection, $43K Online giving.
- Ten percent of this Sunday’s collection will go to disaster relief. Half of the proceeds will go to Operation Underground Railroad, which is an organization committed to ending child trafficking and the other half will be held for a future cause.
- Our annual insurance inspection was yesterday. Jim was happy and surprised to see that all the tenants have taken care of their hoarding issues. The only issue brought up in the inspection was a cart left in front of the Preschool closet door, which is easily fixed.
- The floor in the house at 229 Summit is sinking. We will bring in a contractor to look at it.
- The Staff and Council Day of Reflection is Friday. Fr. David Halm is our keynote speaker.
- The $114k bequest from the Viliborghi family has been received.
- Mary from IFA will assist us with reviewing our investments at no charge.
- The Solar panels will be replaced on the parking structure in September or October. This will be completely paid for by the warranty proceeds and donations. Any leftover money will be used to pay Scout Solar to maintain the panels.
- November 4th is the 5th Anniversary of the rededication of our church. Bishop Nevares will be saying the Vigil Mass in celebration.
- Jim posted the Director of Catechesis job since Muriel is retiring in June. The position is being expanded to include overseeing and coordinating all the catechetical ministries-RCIA, Atrium, Youth and Hispanic Ministry. We have one applicant already who has a master’s in theology. Interviews will take place this Fall with a start date in January.
- Catholic Community Foundation will be hosting a retirement seminar here on November 14th. It is open to all parishioners and local parishes.
- Mission Canyon update: It was decided that there are too many risks involved for just one parish to take over the Mission. Jim contacted Catholic Community Foundation and they are interested in pursuing the opportunity.
- The Bishop’s Assessment increased from $173k to $192k for this fiscal year. This will put us over budget. It is only based on revenue, not expenses.
- There have been no issues with the new roof.
- Old Business:
- Reserve Study: Due to inflation there is a concern about our Reserves. Bill handed out a memo from Advanced Reserve Solutions with four different options for visits and turnaround times for reporting. After discussing, Brad motioned to proceed with Option 4: which states that our report fee will be $2,400 without a site visit. Eileen seconded the motion; motion approved.
- New Business:
- Several council members commented that PNC bank is not doing well financially. The council discussed the FDIC $250k limit per depositor and the associated risks. Brad commented that Foothills Bank has a sweep account, in which money is swept out nightly and invested. Jim will check with PNC bank to see if it has this option. The council also discussed the possibility of changing banks.
- The 3- and 6-month T-bills are maturing in August. Jim would like guidance from the council. Anne asked if the first motion included rolling it over; only the first time. Jim would prefer not to have to ask each time they mature. Brad motioned to renew the 3- and 6-month treasury bills automatically with the same maturity and revisit it in one year. Anne seconded the motion; motion approved.
- Fr. Raj passed out questions for the book, Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist to discuss at the September meeting.
- The Council Social is on August 30th.
Fr. Raj ended the meeting with a prayer at 5:52 pm.
Respectfully submitted by Donna Maneely